Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Childhood

Free Rainbow Sprinkle Ice Cream Cone Creative Commons

As I drove home from work today, I let my thoughts wander from place to place as I took the usual streets back to my apartment. I got done with work a little earlier than usual, so as I drove past the school just up the street from my place, I got to see all the elementary children just getting out of school. Just that quick drive past the school reminded my why I love children and childhood so much.
I saw one little girl with her backpack twisted every which way around her body but except on her back, singing a tune to herself and dancing along as she waited on the corner for her mom.
A little bunch of kids jumped at the chance to high-five the police officer working as a crossing guard as they crossed the street to the mini-van awaiting their arrival.
As I approached the four-way stop just before my turn, a scraggly, little blonde head in the car in front of me turned around and gave me a big toothless grin as she waved at me.
I hope I never have to venture far from childhood.

1 comment:

  1. Mikael. I just got tears in my eyes reading this! I thought back on the days when we would take hours to walk a half mile home from school. Fishing for crawdads in the ditch, picking leaves off trees, playing hopscotch over the lines in the sidewalk, and my personal favorite, stopping for a second so you could sit on your foot because you had to pee but you'd tell me you just needed to rest. Haha!! Where have those days gone...love you! Oh, and your blog is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete