Wednesday, February 4, 2009

JackPot!

For one of my classes I have to create a folder full of resources to give to families once I enter the work force. I have actually been pretty excited about the project because it is something I kind of already do on my own, and I can actually see the use of it. We have to pick one state we want to do it on and I have chosen Utah since that will be where I am doing my student teaching. I have been browsing around when ever I get done with my other homework but feel guilty that there isn't more to do (a very wierd side effect from several semesters of pure hell, to a relatively less stressful semester). I have printed out applications for WIC and found some other pretty unoriginal resources but couldn't seem to nail down any good programs or resources....until tonight. A whole book of Disablilty resources with all the information required for my project...SCORE! It is amazing! I know, I know, something very silly to get excited about, but really it will be an amazing resource to share with families. check it out! http://www.utahparentcenter.org/resources_book.htm

While I am being a nerd...I got myself mixed up in two organizations this week. One of Nathan's roommates is a program manager for the Special Olympics in Provo this summer. I was talking to him about it and he took down my email. He emailed me this week and told me he had been talking with his other managers and were wondering if I would help them out this summer. They want me to be over registration. Here we go again!
I made a new friend in one of my classes. She is 33, had 5 children, one of which is blind, and she is a single parent. She is starting an association on campus for non-traditional students. I don't quite fit into that catagory (I don't think) but she asked me to sign up anyway. Her exact words were "the church started with 6 people and I need six people to start my organization." I worte my name down and then we started talking about what she has already done to get it going and what she needs to do. She then asked if I would be interested in being over the division for students with special needs. umm...Yes! We will see if we can get this up, running, and helping students out before I leave this God forsaken place...JK. I guess my job will be to make sure we have opportunities to conenect students with special needs to the resources the University offers. Looks like I need to find out what the University offers...

2 comments:

  1. That sounds cool. Maybe it will also give you more direction as to where you want to be in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have more energy than I could hope for...good on you!

    ReplyDelete