Sunday, August 23, 2009

Oh how opposite I was today


Today was a temple dedication here in Utah, so church was canceled for the entire state so the dedication could be broadcast. This meant that I had no church becasue I just moved into a new ward and can;t get a ticket. I just looked at my calender and realized that yesterday was the start of Ramadan. It is a holiday that Muslim celebrate Muhammad recieving the Koran. It is a time of great didcation and worship as they fast during the daylight hours and feast at sundown. Muslim read the whole Koran throughout the month and say extra prayers. This goes on for a month. It is also the time one year ago I arrived in The Holy Land. I miss the 12 million calls to prayer throughout the day and night. The partying going on at night. The green lights all over the Muslim parts of the city. I know I say this WAY too much, but, can I go back yet?
(The picture is of the Old City decorated with lights to celebrate Ramadan)

1 comment: