Thursday, May 28, 2009

A day in the life

So now that I am starting up at my job, I just wanted to share a funny story or two. You know that there are rarely going to be dull moments when you work with anyone with special needs. One of the boys I will start working with is in high school and him and his best friend go bowling and then to a rehabilitation center (or a place for adults with special needs to learn life skills). I loved watching these two boys interact because in my experience, people with special needs don't care for attention from other people with special needs. These two are best friends! When we got to the center after bowling, they all eat a meal and then come into a commons room where they have a health lesson and then couch time. Couch time is when someone is picked to leave the room and everyone else in the room says what they like about them and write it on a poster for the person to take home. I was supposed at what great comments everyone had to say, but a few times I had to hide my face as I tried not to let them see me laugh. Here are a few of the funny comments-
"He has really developed an interest in the weather"
"He knows not to play with the gear shift on the bus" (that one came from his best friends)
"120" (what that has to do with anything I don't know)
"He is hansome" That was said about 23 times

I was nervous at first to be working with adults with disablities because I have mostly worked with young children. But as I keep working, I am learning how much fun it is and how much I love it. I will have to make sure I post good stories as they happen.

1 comment: